The purpose of collection assessment is to ensure that the library is meeting the current needs of the UDC community. Collection assessment is done on a continual or as-needed basis. Review of the collection considers the following information:
- Number of Items Available
- Format of Items Available
- Accessibility of Items Available
- Breadth and Depth of Information Covered
- Currency of Information Covered
- Usage of Available Items
Collection assessment can be done by subject or over the entire library collection. Assessment can result in the library purchasing new material relocating material to off-site storage, or weeding material from the collection.