Library Card Registration and Your Library Account
You must have your UDC ONEcard registered with the library in order to use it as your library card.
Card registration is done at the Circulation Desk on the the 5th floor of Buidling 41 or at the Library Resource Room at 801 N. Capital Street.
The bar code on the back of the ONEcard is the library account number.
Registering your card allows you to:
- Use virtually all of the LRD Library's electronic resources from off campus -- access article databases and e-Books, as well as use Consortium Loan
- Gain access to all WRLC member libraries
- Check out books
Each student can view their library account via the My Library Account page. From the library account the student can:
- Renew books
- Check the status of consortia loan items
- Save links to databases and e-journals used frequently
- Sign up for text and e-mail alerts
Cell phone use is not allowed in the library. Please make sure your phone is on silent when you are in the library.
Water is the only beverage allowed in the library; all other beverages and food are not allowed.
- There is no limit to the number of items a student can check out.
- Undergraduates: 28 days with two renewals
- Graduate students: 42 days with two renewals
- Twenty-five cents ($0.25) per day after due date
- Twenty-five dollar maximum ($25.00) per item
The Library Homepage
The Library's homepage is where you can start a catalog search, and find links to our resources and information about our services.
There are a number of ways to navigate to the Library's homepage.
From any of our Research Guides, click on our logo or the Learning Resources Division breadcrumb:
From the UDC homepage, click on the "Academics" tab in the menu bar below the image banner, then click on "Library":
Use and bookmark the URL:
About the Library
The library is a part of the Learning Resources Division and it is located on multiple floors of Building 41 on the Van Ness campus. The locations of LRD and library materials and services are listed below:
- Level A (entrance): Felix E. Grant Jazz Archives, study area
- Level 1: Serials, instructional classrooms 104 & 105, Research Academy for Integrated Learning (Blackboard), C. H. Kirkman Resource Library for Cooperatives, Filmfest DC, library media technicians
- Level 2: LRD administration
- Level 5: Circulation desk, reference desk, book stacks, instruction classroom 510
The UDC Library provides the following services to students:
- Access to research and library materials
- Access to Washington Research Libraries Consortium materials
- A place to study
- Computers, printers, scanners, and photocopiers
- Help with research assignments and using the materials in the library
The UDC Library and the Washington Research Libraries Consortium
The WRLC is a consortium comprised of nine libraries within the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Students and faculty at UDC have access to the circulating holdings of each member library, and you are able to visit and use any of the other libraries of Consortium members. The SUMMON (library) catalog allows you to search through all nine of the libraries' catalogs at one time. Visit the "WRLC" tab for more information on the services available through WRLC. The member libraries are:
- University of the District of Columbia
- The George Washington University
- Georgetown University
- American University
- Gallaudet University
- Marymount University
- George Mason University
- Catholic University of America
- Howard University
UDC Law Library
The David A. Clarke School of Law, located in building 52 on the Van Ness campus maintains its own library, The Mason Law Library, located in Building 39. Many of their resources can only be used by students and faculty of the law school and the library is closed to all non-UDC law students during reading and finals weeks.